Friday, June 29, 2007

Flower Power!


I was quite ambitious yesterday! I wanted to try emboss resist again (my first try was two days ago - check it out here). It's the same basic layout as my first card, but I also wanted to challenge myself to have several layers and I wanted to use the Vases in Vogue stamp set. So here's what I ended up with.

First, I did the emboss resist piece. The flower I stamped on the embossed piece is from Pick a Petal but it goes with the flower from Vases in Vogue. I needed a solid-image stamp for emboss resist, so I used that one. It's stamped on Whisper White in VersaMark, then embossed with clear EP. I sponged Blue Bayou, Almost Amethyst and Barely Banana over the piece. I chose those colours because I wanted to use Blue Bayou and I had some Amethyst cards pre-cut already and they went together nicely. I thought Barely Banana was a nice light colour that also complemented the other two!

For the main flower image, I stamped the vase first in Basic Black, then stamped another on scrap paper and cut it out to use as a mask. I placed it over the first vase, then stamped the flower stem in Wild Wasabi (the stem went into the vase mask). This stem actually has a little flower on it, but I wanted a bigger one so I didn't ink the flower. Instead, I stamped the big flower from the Vases set in Blue Bayou on top of the stem. Then I coloured them in with blender pens. I'm practicing my watercolour technique - I tried to highlight the vase so it looked realistic, but I have a lot of practicing to do! After it was coloured, I sponged Almost Amethyst over the paper to soften it a bit. I matted this piece and the embossed piece with Blue Bayou.

I also wanted some ribbon on it, and navy grosgrain was the closest I had to matching any of the colours I had chosen! I can't wait until I can order the double-stitched ribbon in the In Colour colours. I found a tag from my tag sheets (it's Confetti White) and stamped the sentiment in Blue Bayou. Then I sponged Blue Bayou and Amethyst on the tag, edged the tag with Blue Bayou and tied it to the ribbon with silver cord.

Originally, I adhered everything to a plain Almost Amethyst card base, but it needed something else, so I dry embossed the card base using the Seeing Spots classy brass template. And there it is! Seven layers (if you count the ribbon)!

1 comment:

Diane said...

Wow Shannon that is so pretty!
Nice job with all those layers,it looks awesome!