Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Scratch & Sniff Card

I've been wanting to try this for awhile. I saw the technique in the August issue of Stampin' Success magazine (it's a magazine that Stampin' Up! demonstrators receive from the company each month). The card itself is pretty simple, I know, but the rose smells like cherries! It's such a cool technique.

To make a scratch & sniff card, all you need is some clear embossing powder, a heat tool and some sugar-free drink powder. How cool is that? I used sugar-free cherry Kool-Aid for this, but you can use coffee flavors, cocoa, other Kool-Aid flavours, etc. It has to be sugar free, though, because sugar will burn when you heat emboss it (creme brulee anyone?).

So what you do is mix one-and-a-half parts clear embossing powder with one part drink mix (I did 1 1/2 tsp of ep to 1 tsp of drink mix). Stamp your image with VersaMark and pour the embossing powder mixture on top. Tap off the excess powder and heat it with the heat tool until the powder melts. Voila! Then you just finish your card.

I chose the colours for the card after I had embossed the flower because the embossing powder kind of takes on the colour of the drink mix. My flower looks lighter in the picture, but it's a pink colour. I chose Purely Pomegranate and Wild Wasabi to go with the image. I did stamp over the embossed image with the coordinating two-step stamp in Pomegranate ink just to add some dimension - you can see the ink around the edges of the flower and in the middle. The images are from the Wild Rose stamp set, except the greeting, which is from Sincere Salutations.

No comments: